Financial Support

As a carer there may be benefits, grants or other financial support available to you. You may be entitled to...

  • Carer's Allowance: if you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week and the person you care for is getting a benefit because of their disability.
  • Carer's Credit: if you are under State Pension age and you are caring for someone for at least 20 hours a week.
  • Income Support: if you, and your partner if you have one, are on a low income or not in full-time employment and fall into a category of people who do not have to look for work. You must be 18 or over, but under Pension Credit age, however in particular circumstances some 16 and 17 year olds can get Income Support.
  • Universal Credit: will eventually replace Income Support but currently can only be claimed by certain jobseekers. You may also be eligible for help with housing costs.

Advice and Support

There are two local organisations who can discuss your financial situation, impartially, with you:

Middlesbrough Citizens Advice Bureau and Middlesbrough Council Welfare Rights

Contact details for Middlesbrough CAB and Middlesbrough Council Welfare Rights